Find Your Power
The Magic of Finding Your Power
The doors open. She glides through with her head high and her gaze steady. The smile on her face is confident, yet calm. Shoulders back, she takes smooth, sure steps. She exudes kindness and grace, yet everyone knows she is not available to be fucked with. No one can put their finger on exactly what makes her so magnetic, but they know it has nothing to do with her weight, height, bone structure, makeup, or clothes. It’s much deeper than that. She is living in her power and it is a beautiful thing.
Some of us know and embody the woman above well. Some of us have only allowed her to peek out every now and then. Some of us haven’t met her yet. I want you to know: she is available to us all.
What does it mean for a woman to find her power? It means she knows who she is, what she stands for, and won’t settle for anything that doesn’t serve her. She doesn’t have time for bullshit, because she knows it’s not useful. She doesn’t let anyone tell her how to feel about herself. She has simply decided who she wants to be and works to be that person every day. She is quick to forgive herself for mistakes, therefore she is equally as quick to forgive others. She surrounds herself with people who she knows to be deeply good -- and knows better than to try and discern that from the outside.
Wouldn’t it be fun to live life as that woman? Well, she is right here, waiting for you. If you’ve never met her, or haven’t seen her in a while, here are some things you can do to bring her back:
- Breathe. Deeply. When the mind starts racing, the first step of pulling yourself out of it is taking a deep breath. Stop what you’re doing for a moment. Close your eyes, and take at least 5 deep breaths through your nose, all the way down into your belly. It is amazing how much better you’ll feel after this one thing. The breath brings you back to the Now -- out of the future or past you’ve traveled to in your head and back to where you are. The most powerful place to be is in the Now.
- Let go of what you’re trying to control. Many of us spend a large chunk of each day trying to control what others think of us by censoring our words, outfits, desires, and creativity. We also try to control outcomes. We try to predict and manipulate situations so we get the results we want. And not only is it exhausting, it sucks our power away. Letting go means realizing that you cannot control anyone or anything outside of yourself, then trusting yourself to handle whatever comes your way. You’re intelligent enough. You’re strong enough.
- Set your boundaries and stick to them. Following the first two steps makes this easier. We’ve written some blog posts on boundaries here and here.
- Work on not just loving yourself, but liking yourself. I know this is easier said than done, especially at first. There are some simple ways to start. First of all, say nice things. Stop the mean thoughts -- you know what they are. Do things that you know make you feel good - laying in the sun, cooking something, playing the piano, calling up a friend. When you are filling your own cup with fulfilling thoughts, words, and habits, people will see it written on your face. Your eyes will sparkle, your back will be straight, and your lips will be turned up.
- Find your “superhero cape.” When it’s time for superheroes to go do their thing and save the world, they robe up! Your superhero cape might be a glorious red lipstick. Or a soft flowy dress. Or some magical handmade inspiration jewelry, like this 'Find Your Power Necklace' maybe? It might be different every day. Your cape is probably not one item, but your whole style. And it is not a shallow-trying-to-impress-others thing. It’s an expression and an extension of YOU. Whatever you feel comfortable, confident, and cool in at the moment is going to turn up your power.
Thinking and behaving from a place of power is the best way to do life. Truly powerful women have attracted all kinds of magic for themselves. Their circles are strong and full of equally powerful, gracious, loving people. Their work is meaningful - whether it be jobs, hobbies, crafts, or relationships - powerful women are fulfilled. The miracles flow every day. How does that sound? Is it time to find your power Babe? I think so.